We are so excited to resume worshiping in our sanctuary. The COVID Task Force has been working hard to monitor the local rates of COVID-19 in our area to keep everyone safe. They now feel that it is safe to once again worship indoors with the following:
· SPC will start holding weekly Sunday services indoors starting May 2nd, 2021. Online live feed of the service will be available for members to watch from home as well.
· Church attendees and staff will abide by social distancing and use face coverings as recommended by the CDC.
· Attendees will stop at check in stations outside the front entrance to have their temperature read and attendance noted. Greeters and ushers will be asked to assist at the check-in stations. This will include hand sanitizing stations.
· Attendees will congregate outside before worship to assist with social distancing.
· Attendees will use the front entrance only to enter and exit the facility.
· Singing will be limited to outdoor worship elements. We will have an opening song and closing song that will be sung outdoors. This will not only allow for singing but will also help enhance social distancing.
· Bulletins will be provided on a table along with the offering plate and a QR code linking our service to attendees’ smart phones. The offering plate and communion will not be passed during worship.
· Attendees will be asked to social distance as they enter the building. Greeters will help escort attendees to their seats.
· Attendees will be asked to social distance in the sanctuary. Certain rows will be blocked off to assist with this. Attendees will also be asked to remain in their seats during worship.
· Fans will run during worship to provide circulation during worship. We realize that the sound may cause background noise but feel that enhanced air circulation is necessary. · Rev. Julie will remain at the pulpit during the service and will remove her mask when speaking.
· Other speakers will be asked to wear a mask while speaking during worship.
· Please refrain from shaking hands and remain in your seat when passing the peace.
· We ask that there be no refreshments before or after worship until notified it is safe to do.
· Sunday school is welcome to resume in the building. Other committees are asked to continue to meet via Zoom at this time.
· Laura and Rev. Julie will resume working in the office starting May 11th.
· The COVID Task Force will continue to meet on a regular basis and evaluate these best practices monthly.
Thank you for your continued faith, support, and love as we gather safely together.
December 23 update: A recorded Christmas Candlelight Service will be available on Christmas Eve to watch online. Weather permitting, a revised service and communion will happen at SPC. Please check our Facebook page for any updates.
Are you looking for a meaningful way to celebrate the season of Christmas?
Come join us at SPC for our annual Christmas Eve Candlelight and Communion Service on December 24th at 4pm. The service will be an adaptation of Brian Wren’s service “Show Us Who You Are: A Christmas Service of Scripture and Song” from the book Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany: Liturgies and Prayers for Public Worship. Weather permitting we hope to have a 30 to 40 minute outdoor service. Members will be invited to bring a chair or park and praise. This service will be recorded and a live feed will be available. In case of bad weather, the service will be recorded in the sanctuary and members can watch live from home.
Participants will be required to have a temperature check, wear masks, and abide by social distancing. Since there will be singing, people will be asked to spread out more to keep everyone safe. An offering table will be available during the service where people can drop off their tithes and offerings, the PCUSA -Christmas Joy Special Offering, and any food for the food pantry. Please contact Rev. Julie Sterling with any questions.
[Mar 14, 2002] The Session has canceled worship and most activities at SPC for the coming two weeks. The Session action is in precaution to the emerging coronavirus pandemic and upon an advisory from the Presbytery of Eastern Virgina to cancel all in person worship to reduce the risk of spreading the coronavirus.
Opportunities for tele-worshiping are being developed. Updates to this post will be ongoing as we move forward.
Please keep the elderly, SPC, Suffolk and our healthcare providers in your prayers.